Health & Safety Manager
AA Euro Recruitment Group
Health & Safety Manager
Euro Executive Recruitment has been retained to recruit a Health & Safety Manager for a leading manufacturing company based in Fermoy with frequent travel to their sites in Longford and Arklow.
The Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) Manager, Ireland will be responsible for implementing the highest SHEQ standards for the operation of the Fermoy, Longford and Arklow sites and the protection of all staff. They will maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety legislation and any developments that affect the industry and provide professional advice and support to site management. They will be responsible for the ongoing development and delivery of all SHEQ policies and procedures and ensuring all staff are appropriately trained. They will be responsible for assessing compliance of the policies and ensuring that incidents and near misses are effectively managed, reported, investigated and addressed.
o Work with management in Fermoy, Longford and Arklow to develop and maintain practical and effective policies and procedures for all sites in Ireland.
o Ensure that policies are implemented throughout all sites travelling regularly between the sites.
o Conduct regular reviews of policies and procedures to ensure they are practical and fully aligned with business needs and relevant legislation.
o Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety legislation and any developments that affect the employer`s industry.
o Advise on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
o Ensure emergency response procedures are maintained and updated as required.
- Risk Assessments
o Ensure that all activities across all Irish sites have robust and up-to-date risk assessments.
o Assess workplace hazards considering how risks could be eliminated or reduced and formulate preventative measures together with management.
o Develop and implement standard operating procedures with management to ensure that all risks are appropriately managed.
o Ensure adequate H&S controls are incorporated into design specifications for equipment upgrades and installation.
o Assess all site construction projects and notify the HSE as appropriate.
- Systems and Procedures
o Together with the SHEQ Manager for Scotland, develop, implement and manage Group wide H&S systems to ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
o Develop and implement H&S procedures to support the Group, working closely with the site management; the SHEQ Manager and the Head of Group Operations.
- Training & Awareness
o Work closely with the Group HR Manager to actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people, ensuring contracts are up to date.
o Support Project Managers by ensuring adequate method statements and inductions are carried out with contractors.
o Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks to ensure that work activities are carried out in a safe manner.
o Maintain Health and Safety training records.
o Ensure that new employees receive timely inductions prior to commencing their role.
o Conduct an annual assessment of H&S needs and advise managers on training requirements to ensure compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Audit and Inspection
o Conduct regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being implemented.
o Organise and control regular random safety inspection audits of all areas, record, analyse and report on the results, and suggest improvements.
o Work with all relevant regulators who audit and inspect sites and activities.
o Responsible for quality certification in the timber frame business.
o Inspect building sites where the business erects timber frame houses.
o Support the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) audit.
o Where required, ensure that remedial actions are managed through to completion.
o Investigate and record any incident, accident or dangerous occurrences.
o Assist as required with insurers audits and enquiries.
o Liaise with third parties such as HSE, Brokers and Insurance investigators throughout the process, as appropriate.
o Ensure accurate and appropriate records are maintained and assemble documentation as required.
- Management Plan
o Design, implement and maintain a management plan in accordance with relevant standards for a heavy production environment.
o Work with the SHEQ Manager in Scotland to develop an annual Health and Safety Plan for the Group to ensure the business maintain compliance with applicable regulations.
o Assist site management in the delivery of their safety plans.
o Manage the H&S plan and ensure all initiative owners deliver as per the agreed timelines.
o Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required for internal and external stakeholders to insure compliance with company and statutory requirements.
- Highly organized individual with excellent attention to detail and great accuracy.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and effectively time-manage.
- An observant and analytical personality with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to give instruction to site personnel.
- Ability to deliver training and presentations to groups.
- Embodies safety first culture with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- A can do work ethic with an ability to work on their own initiative.
- Passion, energy, a strong work ethic and a commitment to travelling.
- Open to change with a capacity to deal with uncertainty and a constantly evolving industry.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Health & Safety management.
- Minimum of 5 years Health & Safety experience with at least 3 years manufacturing experience, ideally in a heavy industry sector.
- Experience as a PSCS or Safety Officer in the construction industry would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of BS OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001 standards in a heavy production environment is important, and environment (ISO 14001) and quality (ISO 9000) would be an advantage.
- Excellent report writing and numerical skills with proficiency in MS Office.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Proficiency in the English language is a requirement as is eligibility to work in Ireland.
- Experienced in all areas of Health & Safety including maintaining policies, assessing risks, training, audits & inspection, dealing with incidents and reporting.
Contact Owen Twomey on 085 866 9484, alternatively email your CV to owen@aaeuro.